Founded in 1997 Astro Lighting is a leading British designer and producer of contemporary lighting supplied to both the retail and project specification market. The company has grown an average 20% year-on-year and now exports to over 70 countries globally. In recent years, new subsidiaries have been established in the USA and Asia and further expansion is planned.
Astro's creative ethos has remained consistent throughout - that good design demands simplicity. Its business ethos is similarly straightforward, being based on a passion for quality which goes far beyond technical excellence and demands the highest possible standards of customer service.
Astro cooperates with a number of manufacturers in both the Far-East and Europe and ships goods globally by land, sea and air. The need for a talented logistics professional has become evident as the number of shipments has increased rapidly over the past few years. Performing successfully in this challenging role will have a real impact on the operation and success of the company. This role will appeal to an internationally-minded, dynamic logistics professional with previous experience in the global freight forwarding industry.
- Manage stock levels through the use of Astro’s bespoke IT system
- Ensure company timelines and procedures are maintained at all times
- Arrange booking ins and outs in Astro’s IT system / move stocks between warehouses
- Prepare and arrange necessary shipping documents to coordinate shipping and facilitate efficient order payments
- Consolidate containers between suppliers by liaising with suppliers to best optimise sea shipments
- Negotiate with freight forwarders / courier services to obtain best rates
- Calculate fastest, most cost-effective routes between suppliers’ ports and international customers
- Negotiate and arrange air shipments / regular courier shipments with full documentation
- Improve performance by analysing logistical problems and producing new solutions
- Maintain the customs tariff (EU, USA) classification database for the entire product range
- Assist team members globally when required or instructed
- Knowing the value of timelines, the ability to organise and prioritise work, to ensure deadlines are met
- Strong communication skills / comprehension of detail
- High attention to detail and to deadlines
- Possesses team player qualities, a positive attitude and a can-do attitude
- Problem solve - ability to investigate and understand a problem and offer potential solutions
- Help improve processes and workflows and use resources more efficiently and effectively.
The right candidate will also have:
- An enthusiastic, confident and self-motivated personality and the ability to quickly contribute to the Astro culture and way of working.
- Strong analytical skills.
- A persistent can-do attitude
- Minimum 3 years of experience gained in the freight forwarder industry or in a similar role at medium-sized, fast-moving, global organisation
- Working knowledge of Incoterms / container specifications
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications