Product Development Engineer - North America (UK)
Based at Astro HQ in Harlow, UK, and reporting to the NA Product Development Leader, you will be expected to develop products from concept approval through to TPS approval for the North American marketplace, in accordance with relevant regulations and standards suitable for North America. You will work with the NA Product Development Leader to ensure product can be developed within the given timelines needed to meet seasonal launches. This will involve you working with the Product Engineering Manager to ensure products are engineered to meet Astro's engineering and sustainability principles. You must be able to work effectively within a team, alongside and assisting team members where needed. Regular communication with Astro's supplier liaision managers is essential within the development of a new product.
- Engineer products assigned to you within a set time frame and in accordance with the North America (UL 1598, UL2108 & UL153) standards and relevant market directives such as FCC and T24.
- Prepare prototype samples using various techniques including standard model making and 3D printing technology.
- Work with the prototyping technician to develop models for internal discussion and presentation to customers.
- Produce engineering drawings and product specifications for quotation, manufacturing, and Quality Assurance purposes.
- Liaise with manufacturers during the development and production process to ensure the quality and accuracy of the design is maintained.
- Liaise with the Quality Department to ensure quality within the development of a new product and provide support when required for products in production.
- Produce installation instructions, product labels and any other required information in accordance with relevant standards, where required.
- Carry out basic in-house product testing to support SDoC.
- Liaise with external testing laboratories to produce product safety certifications / reports.
- Complete sample evaluation reports and communicate the findings with our manufacturers.
- Generate and maintain required technical files for each product, in the product lifecycle management system – Fusion 360 Manage.
- Where needed visit manufacturers within Astro’s supply chain across the world.
- Own the NPI timeline from concept handover to TPS approval.
- Call specific Concept hand over, Engineering and Compliance review meetings within the development time.
- Report and escalate, where appropriate, issues and obstacles that affect speed to market.
- Liaise with supplier liaison managers within the Astro China office.
- Carry out assigned research projects that support the development of future product development when required.
- Create and maintain BIM files for products within the development process.
- Liaise with the Technical Manager to provide Photometric Data for products within the development process.
- Carry out any additional tasks requested by the Design Director or Head of Product Development.
- Create and manage Change Orders for product improvements and upgrades.
• Must be able to work comfortably within a team
• Must be able to take ownership of projects assigned.
• Ability to give and take constructive feedback.
• Must have creative engineering flair.
• Must have a professional approach to time management and delivering against and working to set deadlines.
• 2+ years' experience working as a Product Design Engineer.
• Understand the need for and carry out product testing.
• Understand the need to work to relevant standards.
• Knowledge of lighting standards and regulations not essential but preferable
• Have worked with various manufacturing processes suitable for mass production.
• Knowledge of Solid Works CAD software.
• Knowledge and basic understanding of Adobe Illustrator.
• Ability to produce engineering drawings to IEC standards.